Saturday, July 24, 2010

Elizabeth Bennet - on Practicing Small Talk

When the BBC published their episodic version of Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen, I was enthralled.  Just my type of delicious escape.  At last count I have probably watched the entire series at least 10 times.
I have always been shy about starting a conversation with strangers, especially in large groups. In addition, I have never been good at "small talk."  Mister Darcy apparently shared that same affliction with me. Elizabeth counselled him to practice small talk.
What a revelation! You can get better by practicing? And so I started. I am quirky, awkward and silly about it, but I am getting better. The net affect has been my growing comfort in those situations. I just have to learn to curb my didactic nature and listen more attentively.

No comments:

Post a Comment